Disputing use of electronic device ticket in hope of penalty reduction
I hold a N license and got a voilation ticket for the use of electronic device (I looked at the phone at a red light and got caught :( )
I filed a late dispute for this ticket accepting the allegation but requesitng a penatly reduction on my so far clean driving record.
With the recent changes in rules, the ticket now comes with 4 penalty points whihch will trigger dirving prohibition for 3 months ( New drivers with more than 3 points are sent a letter by the Superintendent of Police with an intent to prhibit from driving for 3 months )
I now have a court date for May 30th and every lawyer I talk to regarding this case tells me I should not have agreed to the offence in first place and should have disputed the alegation becuase the court cannot reduce the points, the points come with the ticket : which makes sense. But, when I had called ICBC to know about the repurcussions of this ticket before disputing, one of the ICBC call centre agents herself suggested me to dispute the ticket, accept my mistake and request a reduction in the points . In retrospective, I feel I should not acted just on one advice.
I am ready to pay the fine but find the penalty points and consequent prohibtion extreme :( . Not to mention how it will reset my GLP clock (I am due to take the class 5 test in Feb 2018)
Now that I have already accepted the allegation, what options do I have to get the penalty points reduced. I am considering:
1) If the police offier shows up : Acknowledge my mistake and request the police officer to A) best case : withdraw the ticket B) Atleast change the ticket from driver to registered owner. I am also planning to take the defensive driving course to try and present how seriously I took this. But my question is :
- Since I have already accepted the allegation, will either A or B I mentioned above help me with reduction in points and make the acceptance in my dispute affidavit void?
- In case of B) will I then still have to proceed with trial?
2) If the police officer doesn't show up : I guess I would then be left with no options to get the points reduced and can only try and plead to the judge . Are there any other opitons in this case?
3) One lawyer even mentioned I might be held in contempt of court for requesting reduction in pentaly points. Is that true? I find that unreasonable , how can being truthful about one's offence be taken in the wrong side :/ . I feel the lawyer was trying to scare me into paying him $1000 for represneting the case.
I would grealty appreciate any advise on this matter. The consequent prohibition if things dont go well is really stressing me out as I have my grandmother visiting in a couple of months. So not having the license to get her around will suck :(