NEWS - Legislation Introduced to Permit Ride Hailing
If passed, the Passenger Transportation Amendment Act will enable:
- ICBC to develop a modern insurance product for ride-hailing for fall of 2019.
- A new, data-driven approach to improve taxi service and ride-hailing opportunities, particularly at high-demand locations and peak times, by strengthening the Passenger Transportation Board’s authority to determine fares, vehicle supply and operating areas.
- The development of measures to make sure people are not left stranded when traveling from one municipality to another.
- The inclusion of a per-trip fee to fund more accessibility options for people with disabilities.
- Increased enforcement of the rules with stiffer penalties for taxi and ride-hailing companies for working outside the law.
In drafting the Passenger Transportation Amendment Act, government’s priority was to make sure British Columbians are safer on the roads, and will be requiring all ride-hailing and taxi drivers to maintain a Class 4 passenger licence and undergo mandatory criminal checks.