Off Road Vehicle Registration

image of bc off road vehicle licence plateIf you intend to operate your off road vehicle (ORV) anywhere on public lands after November 1, 2015 you must register it through ICBC. When the vehicle is registered an off road vehicle licence plate or sticker will be issued and must be displayed.

The Off-Road Vehicle Act is a key element of the Province’s Off Road Vehicle Management Framework. The framework will help British Columbians get out and enjoy the beauty of the province’s backcountry and ensure off-road vehicles are driven in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.

Register At Any Autoplan Agent

This registration is integrated within the pre-existing structure of ICBC’s motor vehicle registry, reducing implementation costs and allowing ORV owners to register at any of the 900+ ICBC insurance brokers in the province.

Off Road Vehicles Requiring Registration

An ORV includes snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles (or “quads”), off road motorcycles, side by sides (i.e. rhino, argo, razors) and dual purpose on highway vehicles such as jeeps, trucks, and SUVs.

One Time Registration Fee

The one time fee of $48 for the registration and number plate will be valid as long as the same person owns the vehicle. If the ORV is sold or disposed of, the owner keeps the number plate to transfer onto a replacement.

Sticker Removal

ORV owners that choose the sticker will be responsible for removing the sticker if the vehicle is resold.

Refund of Snowmobile Registration Fee

Snowmobile owners who have registered their machines under the old Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act will receive a refund of the amount they have already paid when they register under the new rules.

Applies to Out of Province Visitors

The requirement to register and licence an ORV applies to out of province users who bring their machines into BC for use. That may be fulfilled if their home province has an identical program (eg: Alberta) and they are registered there.

Otherwise, the ORV must be registered and licensed in BC before use. Similarly, jeeps, trucks and SUVs already licensed and insured for on highway use will be exempt.

Learn More

  • The Off Road Vehicle Act and Regulations - Government of BC
  • Off Road Vehicle Management Framework - Government of BC
  • Off Road Vehicle Registration Details - ICBC
  • Off Road Vehicle Registration Overview - ICBC

Share This Article