Q&A - Problems with My Teen - Can I Take Their Licence Away?

New Driver Signs 2011My teen is an irresponsible driver and I am concerned enough at the danger that I want to withdraw my consent for them to have a driver's licence. How do I do that?


Yes You Can

A parent/legal guardian is no longer able to withdraw their previously given consent at a Driver Service Center by completing a withdrawal declaration.

If a parent/legal guardian has concerns about the fitness or ability of their child to drive safely, parents/legal guardians are now required to write to the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles (OSMV).

The letter to OSMV requesting withdrawal of consent should contain evidence as to their child's lack of fitness or ability to safely operate a vehicle.

The Superintendent may take action on a minor's driver's licence if it is determined that there are legitimate or satisfactory reasons for doing so. These reasons must relate to the minor's fitness or ability to drive safely (e.g., irresponsible driving or dangerous driving etc.)

Based on the evidence that is presented, OSMV may intervene. This can include warning letters, a requirement to re-test, advising prohibition or a direction to ICBC to cancel the minor's driver's licence.

To request a review of your minor's driver's licence contact:

Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles
Victoria, B.C., Canada
V8W 9J2

Telephone: (250) 387-7747
Fax: (250) 387-4891



Google Ads