Q&A - Farm Vehicle Rules

Q&A ImageI have a one ton truck, commercial, increased GVW (14,000 I believe), under NSC number, licenced for farm use. With this vehicle I do the following: 

Just pickup, running for parts errands etc

Pickup and commercially plated trailer to haul water

Pickup and commercially plated trailer to haul hay, farm supplies, cattle, farm equipment

Pickup to haul horse trailer with horses/tack

Under which circumstances am I required/not required to do a pre trip inspection report, logbook, report to a scale and am I required to have a TDG certificate to haul a tidy tank of fuel?



The trip inspection report is straight forward:

Trip inspection report

37.23  (1) This section applies to a commercial motor vehicle to which Part 1 of Division 25 of this regulation applies under section 25.01 (2), but does not apply to

(c) a 2 axle vehicle with a licensed gross vehicle weight not exceeding 14 600 kg, excluding a bus, school bus, special activity bus or special vehicle, or

Since you say your licenced GVW is 14,000 kg. the requirement to do a written trip inspection report does not apply to you. You must still do the trip inspection however.

When you are transporting goods in relation to your farm, you are not subject to the hours of service rules, including the log book:

Application of this Part

37.11  This Part does not apply to a driver who is driving

(a) a 2 or 3 axle commercial motor vehicle that is being used for the transportation of primary products of a farm, forest, sea, or lake where the driver or his employer is the producer of the products,

When you are doing anything that is not related to your farm such a hauling water for someone else, moving someone else's horses for them then this exemption would not apply.

Reporting to the scale is something that all commercial vehicles must do unless exempted by a sign when their licenced GVW exceeds 5,500 kg.


7.03  (2) The driver of a vehicle on a highway, when directed by a traffic sign on the highway to report to scales, must drive the vehicle onto the scales for the purpose of weighing the whole or part of the vehicle by means of stationary or portable scales, measuring the dimensions of the vehicle and load, measuring and inspecting the tires, inspecting the load carried, or for any other purpose under the Act or these regulations.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to the driver of a commercial vehicle of a licensed gross vehicle weight not exceeding 5 500 kg.

Finally, your tidy tank:

It must be properly secured, labeled and in proper condition, but you do not need a certificate if the capacity is 454 litres or less.

The provincial government says: "TDG training and Spill Response training is recommended for anyone transporting fuel using a truck-box fuel tank."