LAW - Amendments to MAC Regulation
The government has amended the Motor Assisted Cycle (MAC) Regulation on October 11, 2022. The amendments update the requirements for tires, pedals and motor shutoffs.
- The diameter mentioned in section 2(1) now includes the rubber tire in the dimension
- The pedals or hand cranks must be usable and provide assistance when the motor is running
- The language around motor shutoff has been expanded to be more descriptive of how it should operate
1 Section 2 (1) of the Motor Assisted Cycle Regulation, B.C. Reg. 151/2002, is repealed and the following substituted:
(1) The wheels of a motor assisted cycle, including the rubber tires that make contact with the ground, must be 350 mm or more in diameter.
2 The following section is added:
Operation of pedals or hand cranks requirement
2.1 The pedals or hand cranks attached to a motor assisted cycle must be capable of being operated while the motors of the motor assisted cycle are engaged and provide assistance propelling the motor assisted cycle.
3 Section 3 is repealed and the following substituted:
Motor shut-off requirement
3 (1) If a motor assisted cycle is equipped with an accelerator controller, the motor assisted cycle must be equipped with a mechanism, separate from the accelerator controller, that
(a) allows the operator to turn the motors on and off from a normal seated position while operating the motor assisted cycle, or
(b) prevents the motors from turning on or engaging before the motor assisted cycle attains a speed of 3 km/hr.
(2) The motors of a motor assisted cycle must disengage and no longer provide assistance propelling the motor assisted cycle as follows:
(a) if the motors are engaged by pedalling, when the operator stops pedalling;
(b) if the motors are engaged by hand cranking, when the operator stops hand cranking;
(c) if the motors are engaged by operating an accelerator controller, when the operator releases or disengages the accelerator controller;
(d) regardless of how the motors are engaged, when the operator applies a brake.