Q&A - Who is responsible for road markings?

Q&A ImageIs this a municipal or provincial responsibility? I see countless examples each year where there are many ways (or in cases, no reasonable way) to take the markings on the road, especially at <50 kph. If a person has these problems in understanding the intent and the expected behaviour, who should queries be directed to? Please advise? Thanks!


It Depends

It used to be that the Ministry of Transportation was responsible for numbered highways and anything outside of municipal boundaries. They downloaded numbered highways inside municipal boundaries to the municipalities quite some time ago, so today if it is inside a municipal boundary, you deal with council. If it is outside, you deal with the Ministry.

The province sets the standards in a document called the Manual of Standard Traffic Signs and Pavement Markings.

Google Ads