REPORT - BC Communities Road Safety Survey
In December of 2015 RoadSafetyBC published the BC Communities Road Safety Survey. It's goal was to provide an overview of the municipal road safety activities and identify the challenges that might be limiting progress towards the goal of having the safest roads in North America by 2020.
Of 189 municipalities in the province, 81 responded. Those responses raised the following points:
- Municipal councils, staff and community members consider road safety a priority
- Formal road safety program components are rare
- More than half of municipalities allocated less than 8% of their transportation budget to road safety
- The top two safety issues were vehicle speeds and pedestrian safety
- Of 24 potential road safety program elements only three were in place in more than half of the participating municipalities
- Of 12 potential road safety stakeholders that might provide input on road safety police provided input to almost all participating municipalities
- Of 9 potential sources of road safety data most municipalities used public comments and complaints
I've asked RoadSafetyBC if anything was done to follow up on the report and will post any response here when it is received.