Q&A - How to Get My Licence Back?

Counter Attack LogoI pleaded guilty to a charge of impaired driving about 2 1/2 years ago. I was told by the court that I would receive a 1 year suspension and a $1000 fine. Based on this information, I plead guilty.

I knew it was going to be a tough 12 months, but knew I would come out of it with a whole new outlook on drinking and driving.

Things got bad almost immediately, I couldn't get to job sites with the tools I required and lost about 80% of my clients in the first 2 months. (I am a modular furniture and cabinetry installer) Then 3 months into the suspension, I got the letter from Motor Vehicle informing me about all the other things I would have to do to get my licence reinstated. I honestly had no idea.

So here it is, 1 1/2 years after I thought I would have my licence back,and I have minimal work, no bus fare half the time, an eviction notice on my front door and haven't got the money for the RDP. Now, I'm sure this program was not intended to ruin someones life, but in fact that has been what has happened to me. Without my licence I can not get my life back on track.

What I need to know is if there is any faster, cheaper way to get my licence back or a time served exception. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.



Ouch, I'm certain no one thinks of this when they get behind the wheel after having too many drinks (or other intoxicants). I hope that you never find yourself in this situation again.

Did you have a lawyer or get legal advice prior to entering your guilty plea? I'm going to guess not, as any current criminal lawyer would have known to advise you of this. A criminal conviction for impaired driving carries the same follow up penalties as an Immediate Roadside Prohibition does. This is a vehicle impound, driving prohibition, responsible driver program an ignition interlock and a licence reinstatement fee. There are also 10 penalty points assessed for the criminal conviction.

Unfortunately the only part of this that I know how to be forgiven is for the penalty points. If you surrender your driver's licence ICBC will reduce your penalty point premium.

You may be eligible for assistance through BC Employment and Assistance as well. If not, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Google Ads