Q&A - Handicapped Parking Abuse

Q&A ImageI have driven commercially for almost 30 years and I'm (others as well) getting tired of seeing persons parking in handicap spots then reaching into the glove box or other spot to hang a permit in the window and then get out of their car/truck (with no apparent disability) and walk in to the store or mall.

I was in a car accident in 2007 were I was hit by a car failing to stop at a stop sign. As a result I have permanent nerve damage in my left leg. I feel that I'm still capable of walking so I don't need a permit , even thought my Doctor said I qualify for one.

To see people abuse this privilege (and this is a privilege, not a right) upsets a lot of people. We need to know where and who to contact to forward the licence and permit # of the offender. Calling a number that only operates Monday to Friday 9:00- 5:00 does not work for those of us that work from 6:00 to 6:00 so a website or e-mail works better for us.

Thanks for your consideration and I await your response.


Not Everything is as it Seems

I once made the tongue-in-cheek observation that one must give a person who gets out of a vehicle in a handicapped parking space and walks away the benefit of a doubt, they might be mentally handicapped. The resulting comments to set me straight on the subject all said that just because a person can walk away doesn't mean that they do not qualify for the permit to use the space. Various heart and lung conditions can severely limit the distance a person can walk.

I wrote an article about handicapped parking back in 2007. In it I mentioned that reporting abuse to SPARC BC would result in follow up. When I visited their site this evening to see what might have changed, I didn't see any mention of reporting abuse there anymore. I've inquired with them and will post what I find out here when they reply.

If the permit issuer no longer follows up on abuse complaints, you still have options. Calls to police, bylaw enforcement, mall security or the property owner may result in action being taken. The police and bylaw enforcement may be reluctant to take action on what they view as private property, even though it may be defined as a highway under the Motor Vehicle Act. If that is the case, the property owner can take action on their own by having the offending vehicle towed. They are authorized to do this under section 192 of the Motor Vehicle Act.


Google Ads