Golf Cart Licence and Insurance

Golf CartMy friends are calling me a fool for buying license and insurance for my golf cart to operate it across the road. They don't license and insure their golf carts, and think I am wasting my money laments a reader.

golf cart being driven on the road

Contrary to what his friends might believe, this reader is a wise person. He is protecting himself against civil liability in case of a collision and is following the law. 

Golf Cart is a Motor Vehicle

A golf cart is a motor vehicle as defined in the Motor Vehicle Act. This means that in order to be on a highway the golf cart must be licensed, insured and displaying number plates. If two plates are issued, one must be on the front and one on the rear. 

In addition, it must weigh less than 815 kg GVW, have at least 3 wheels and may not have more than 4 occupants.

Neighbourhood Golf Carts

If you live in the Towns of Chase or Qualicum Beach you may be able to operate your golf cart on specific streets as part of the neighbourhood golf carts initiative. Both have been designated by regulation, but it appears that only Chase has chosen to participate.

Use on or Across a Road

A highway is the area on either side of the roadway centre right up to the property line on both sides. 

Golf carts may only be operated in a golf course parking lot or when crossing the highway from one part of a golf course to another part of the same golf course.

Limited Access Islands

A golf cart may also be operated on a limited access island where the highway has a posted speed of 20 km/h or less.

If you are lucky enough to live on one of these islands, the local police may issue permits for golf cart operation along the highway and specify limitations and conditions of operation in the permits.

Necessary Equipment

The golf cart must meet the equipment requirements for brakes and mufflers, must have reflectors, a horn, a rear view mirror and turn signals. If operated at night, must be equipped with one or two headlamps at the front and a tail lamp at the rear.

Learn More

Share This Article

We live at a major golf resort. This is a gated community where I believe the roads are considered private property since the community is responsible for all aspects of the roads. There are two golf courses here and golf carts run freely through the roads.

Iā€™m wondering what regulations apply to both automobiles and golf carts. 

I also wonder how ICBC coverage is applicable in this circumstance.

You are correct, a gated community is considered to be private property and you would only be subject criminal impaired driving and any strata rules covering the use of golf carts.

A golf cart on a highway is subject to the same rules as an automobile.

This is what ICBC advises for golf cart insurance and permits.